miércoles, 16 de septiembre de 2009

¡Viva México!


¡Viva!, originally uploaded by sappycoldplaywhore.

Yesterday (and technically today too, because we get it off? I dunno) was Mexican Independence Day. I wore a green skirt, red tank top, and white overshirt. People kept looking at me, as if thinking, "Is she doing that on purpose, or is she just retarded?"

It does feel a bit strange to go to someone else's country and celebrate their national holidays, acting like you actually live there, and I sometimes felt yesterday that I was being one of those white people. But then I remembered that this is really just a big party and an excuse to get drunk. Also, CULTURAL IMMERSION.

First we went to a party our school was throwing (complete with a mechanical bull, totally appropriate) and I finally saw the very attractive teacher from Germany. When the girls finally got him to dance, they basically took turns molesting him and I was like, DUDE, THAT'S YOUR TEACHER, IT'S GOING TO BE SO AWKWARD ON THURSDAY. But, you know, after enough tequila, you really don't care.

In the evening, after Mexican pizza (onions, sausage, chorizo, and jalapeños) at Ashley's apartment, we went to the Zócalo for the Grito, where everyone yells, "¡Viva México!" a lot and then there are fireworks. After that, of course, was the drinking and dancing and being harassed by Mexican guys and hearing "I Want You To Want Me" in Spanish. (Carlos tried to tell me that's not what it was, BUT IT TOTALLY WAS.)

We have today off (to nurse hangovers, I guess, but I don't have one!) and holy shit, it's already 5:30 and I still have an essay to write. So, woooooo, ¡viva la independencia!

1 comentario:

  1. Mexico sounds so cool, and that party sounds very fun! I can see how hitting on a teacher would be totally awkward later, eww! lol!

    I now want Mexican pizza.

    ResponderBorrar