lunes, 21 de septiembre de 2009

I love the smell of AK-47s in the morning

A few weeks back, we were taking a taxi home at 1 AM when we saw a guy standing on a street corner in Ashley's neighborhood, holding a semi-automatic weapon.

"Holy shit!" I yelled. "What the fuck is that?"

"Oh, my host mom told me about him," Ashley said. "He's just political."

"Those must be some strong politics."

Later, when we were all more sober, Ashley explained that people standing on street corners in residential neighborhoods with guns were actually bodyguards for people involved in politics. Oh, that makes more sense, although it's hardly comforting because THEY STILL HAVE SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPONS.


Tonight Catherine and I were walking home around 11:30 p.m. and saw a bodyguard, which doesn't surprise me anymore. Only he was wearing a bandana over his mouth, and it was the first thing I saw and it FREAKED MY SHIT OUT. Because you know who I've ever seen wearing bandanas over their mouths? Guerrillas. I'm just sayin'.

1 comentario:

  1. I realize it's probably a normal thing there, but I'd be SO SCARED. I can see how the bandanna freaked you out too.

    ResponderBorrar