martes, 6 de octubre de 2009

Daca (pronounced de-gah)

Naomi left today at 7 a.m. and before 5 p.m., we had a new student! It's like exchanging something at Target: easier than pie!

I am kidding.

His name is Daca (pronounce de-gah; he's Vietnamese) and he's from Vancouver. Which means I get to make lots of lovely Canada jokes. And I already started, with making fun of the "soory" and the "eh" thing when we were chatting with Margarita. Anyway.

When I first met him, I introduced myself in Spanish, of course, not realizing then that he barely speaks Spanish. We went down to the kitchen so he could eat something, and as we sat down, he worriedly asked, "Do you speak English?"

It was the biggest compliment I've received thus far.

5 comentarios:

  1. You should have replied, in English, "I dunno, do you speak French?"

    Maybe THAT'S why he doesn't do Spanish?

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Haha, he said he took French in high school but hated it.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Wait, he's CANADIAN and doesn't speak French? I guess Vancouver is a lot different from Quebec/Montreal then? EVERYONE spoke french in Montreal. But most of them spoke English, too.

    I think that's so weird for a country to have such a language disparity. Like granted, in the U.S. we have our dialects and such, but for the most part if you wanted to travel across the country you wouldn't have a problem with anyone not speaking English unless you went to small Spanish/German/whatever communities. Canada seems to be divided, but major cities speak French? Maybe it's an upper/middle class thing?

    ResponderBorrar
  4. Vancouver is on the West Coast. They do not speak French there the way they do in Montreal/Quebec.

    ResponderBorrar
  5. Wow, your Spanish must be pretty good if you had him convinced you didn't speak English :)

    ResponderBorrar