martes, 25 de agosto de 2009

Panic and binge

I'm leaving on Thursday and the full force of all the things I've yet to do to prepare has only just hit me.

I spent today running around like a chicken with its head cut off (shut up), trying to figure out how to unlock my phone so the Mexican SIM card I ordered will work. Well, I've finally got everything working peachy keen, but now the Mexican SIM card is stuck in my phone, so I can't put my AT&T SIM card back in for my remaining two days.

I went to the bank yesterday to buy some pesos, and they told me I could exchange it there, at the bank, if I brought in cash. So today I brought in cash, only to be told that I couldn't exchange it there, I have to buy it over the phone. I called the Bank of America Customer Service line only to have them tell me I have to order online or at my local bank (um, what?). I tried it online, and found that it's $20 to ship the money.

Why companies have to make everything so ridiculously byzantine, I'll never understand. I feel like they would save millions on customer service costs and property damage if they just made things simple.


I've been on a binge of sorts of fast food; the tasty, fattening, greasy things I won't be able to buy in Oaxaca. On Sunday night, I got mozzarella sticks at Jack In The Box; yesterday I had In-N-Out at midnight; I went to Arby's for lunch today and got myself a Beef 'N' Cheddar. I only need check off McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Carl's Jr to make everything complete.

I try not to think about the things I will miss; this seemed to work when I left for Berkeley. I knew that I wouldn't see most of my friends for months, but I just tried to ignore the idea and then the day-to-day wasn't so difficult. Of course, in Berkeley, I had my best friend Hana, and a bunch of close friends with whom I went to high school. I am plunging into this study abroad program head-first, knowing absolutely no one, with only the program website to go on. It should be terrifying, but like I said, I try not to think about these things.

2 comentarios:

  1. Wow, it's really hard to comment on blogspot. Glad you're back though :)

    You're studying abroad in Mexico? That sounds so exciting! Terrifying, but exciting. The whole money conversion problem sounds ridiculous and unfair though :P How long are you staying?

    Keep us posted :D

    ResponderBorrar
  2. I changed the comment settings, so you can do name/url now. So it should be easier.

    I'm staying in Mexico until December. Thanks for reading :D

    ResponderBorrar